Monday 6 April 2009

Walking it off - Mar 2nd

I have had a week full of busyness and strife - not least some little swines deciding to set my car on fire! Fitness hasn't been foremost this week, but I have been very aware of it not being foremost, and suffered some niggling guilt, which I suppose is a form of progress!

I did manage to squeeze in some fantastic walking, which has been great. On Friday I completed 45 minutes at Parc Penallta in Caerphilly, exploring a fair bit as I'd only ever ambled very close to the car park before! It's quite hilly so I managed to work up a bit of a sweat, and threw in a few brief sessions of jogging on the flatter parts - maybe 60-90 seconds jogging, then some walking, then more jogging. I'm hoping to build on this over the next few weeks, the parc is convenient for picking Madam up from nursery afterwards so this may become a regular haunt!

On Saturday I spent the day with my mum and dad, and Mum and I took my daughter down to Knap Gardens on the coast at Barry. They meandered about, with Madam pushing her dolly in the pram, whilst I donned my trainers and powered off along the promenade and onto the headland. I think I got in about 25-30 minutes brisk walking plus a fair amount of child-driven meandering! I must have worked it, because later that afternoon at the play park, I ended up having a hypo, with my blood sugars dropping to 3, and having to glug some glucose gel to sort myself out!

Today my partner was off work, and we travelled down to Glynneath to tackle a longer, hillier walk along the banks of the Mellte. We were out for about 2-2.5hours with about 20 minutes rest, so it was a fair old workout. Lots of scrambling uphill, and also a challenging downhill section with lots of very large 'steps' built into the hillside that left my thighs aching! I really enjoyed myself, and was quite disappointed to get back to the car. We also ran into Welsh TV presenter Iolo Williams, who was very friendly, so that was a bonus! I kept a closer check on my blood sugars, testing during our coffee break and also after the walk, and snacked on some dried fruit to keep them at a sensible level, so I felt really good about managing good control.

This week, my plan is to get in a few good walks - the advantage being that they're free! I missed Pilates today due to having an appointment at the Registry office to give notice for our marriage in August (squeeee!) but I will try to practice some of the poses at home, I've also bought a Yoga DVD so will give that a crack. I'd also like to get into the gym (small local one, not evil Local Authority one!) for that weights induction and free weights guidance. Maybe one evening when the other half can watch Madam.

I'm mostly managing to eat sensibly and healthily, and have developed a penchant for Cup A Soup suppers and sushi lunches!

No comments:

Post a Comment