Wednesday 22 April 2009

A busy week.

Alright, I have a confession. I trotted off to WeightWatchers last Wednesday, full of the joys of a week of good pointing and solid graft in the gym. I was dumbstruck to have GAINED half a pound.

Genuinely confused and not a little sulky, I have suffered blog-avoidance. I have avoided my blog like a pouting child.

Many kind friends, in real life and in Forumsville, have offered possible explanations for my gain. They suggested hormonal fluctuations, pre-menstrual bloating, gain of dense muscle not quite balancing flabby-fat loss. My daughter's physio pointed out that my already sore and irritated muscles might be grabbing at water like a cash-grasping WAG because I was a touch dehydrated, and that I should increase my water consumption dramatically. My leader insisted that if I made sure I ate all my points allowance this week rather than skimping, I would see a loss.

With a heavy heart and not much hope, despite having done as everyone suggested, guzzling water like a fish and eating all the points I deserved and no more, I stepped onto the scales, and lo - a 2lb loss!

I'm now pleased, and no longer sulky, and am blogging again! This loss means that I have lost over a stone since joining WW, and I have earned two shiny stickers today - for a stone loss, and for losing 5% of my starting weight. The other half and I worked out that my current weight is over five and a half stone lighter than I was just after my daughter was born. That's dead cool, that is. I still have a long way to go, but now I can see how each step of that journey is going to look.

Anyway, despite the sulking, we have been busy! Yesterday we went for a beautiful walk up Sugar Loaf Mountain, near Abergavenny. The weather was glorious and we were out for about 2 1/2 hours. It probably says a lot about my change in mindset that I now consider this a 'short' walk!! This was a sweet climb in more ways that one, as we attempted it about a year ago and I didn't even get 1/3 of the way up before realising that I just couldn't do it and skirting around the bottom before headed for home. Reaching the summit of yet another peak that defeated me a mere 12 months ago felt brilliant.

Today we had another gorgeous day, taking our daughter to a local adventure farm. I indulged my inner preschooler, and had a fantastic time skidding down high speed toboggan runs, chucking myself down scary drop slides and bouncing around like a proper freak on the outdoor trampolines. Which had nets, some will be pleased to read. None of this would have been possible even a short time ago - I would have felt far too self concious, and wouldn't have had anywhere near the energy. I would have sat on a bench and watched my fiancee and daughter have fun, and felt a bit left out and sad. I feel brilliant for having joined in. I wonder how much more life I'll gain as I lose more weight?

1 comment:

  1. What a brilliant post to read Beth :-) Gaining life is a huge motivator for losing weight. I sat watchying Rebecca rollerskate for a year before I had enough courage to get up and do it too, and I love it! Nothing beats how I feel when I'm whizzing round on those teeny wheels :-)

    Just for kicks, next time you see Rebecca, try and pick her up. She's about 5 1/2st. I certainly couldn't carry her around for more than a few minutes, yet I used to carry that weight around all the time. No wonder I couldn't skate!

    Don't stay away when you are upset with the scales. God knows I know how hard it is to come back and blog about a gain, but I find that blogging about it does help me move on from it. Otherwise it just sits festering in my brain!

    ReplyDelete