Monday 6 April 2009

Spring walks.

We had the loveliest weekend, making the most of some spring sunshine by taking an overnight break in Gower!

We set off Friday evening, and camped overnight at Nicholaston Farm - highly recommended if you're looking for a family friendly campsite in the Gower area! We had some rain overnight but awoke on Saturday morning to blue skies and sunshine, and a glorious view over Oxwich Bay. After a shaky start, involving a falling toddler, a split lip, lots of blood, and copious Mini Eggs to restore happiness to the sore mouth of the fallen, bleeding toddler, we set off on a mammoth hike!

We walked from Oxwich (up the hill from the Penrice car park, through the grounds of the castle and looping round to pick up the coast path at Oxwich point). We headed to Horton and Port Eynon, and plonked ourselves down on the beach at Port Eynon Bay to eat our lunch and enjoy an ice cream cone/cider lolly (delete as applicable depending on whether you are on a diet!). From Port Eynon we followed the coast as far as Boiler Rocks, then cut inland and headed across farmland to the main road at Pitton Cross, where we hopped on a (ludicrously expensive) bus to take us back to Oxwich Towers. Half an hours trudging down the road brought us back to our car at Oxwich Bay - where I could finally take off my shoes! We clocked up at least five hours of active walking, and I paid for every second of it with aching muscles the next day.

Despite the ache, though, it was brilliant fun, and we are already planning our next trip out - himself is muttering about another Pen Y Fan attempt this Saturday, whilst I'm looking into sections of the Pembrokeshire coast path.

In other fitness news, my gym campaign gathers pace. I'm still racking up 4-5 sessions a week, at 1.5-2 hours each time. The crosstrainer and rower are definitely emerging as my cardio machines of choice, and the lovely Dai has shown me a few more resistance machines to aid in my 'get gorgeous arms' efforts. I've been experimenting with different programs on the crosstrainer, and am loving both the Hill program and the Cross Train Aerobics setting, so I've started doing twenty minutes of each per session, broken up with a stint on the rower (anywhere from 20-35 minutes) and resistance sets. I've also been doing some power walking on the treadmill holding 1kg weights in each hand, which is all well and good until I lose concentration watching MTV and clang the bloody metal dumbbells on the metal frame of the machine. I'm such a moron.

There's a few snaps from our walk below!




No comments:

Post a Comment