Monday 6 April 2009

Start at the very beginning....

....it is, allegedly, a very good place to start.

Project Gym started yesterday, with an obligatory Gym Taster Session. I'm going through a 16 week exercise referral programme via my GP. This, apparently, makes me far too feeble to manage a proper gym induction, and I was forced to endure a longwinded blah-sesh alongside some very lovely ladies of pensionable age, before being instructed to do ten gentle minutes on the treadmill at 2.5-3 mph.

Now, I may not be ridiculously fit, but thanks to the other half forcing me up mountains whenever he can manage it, I'm not quite THAT unfit, so I think the poor instructor was a bit shocked to return to me powering up an incline at five and a half miles an hour. Still, she has now sheepishly agreed that maybe I can be let loose on the gym sans OAP entourage.

So yesterday I racked up twenty five minutes on the treadmill, ten minutes interval cycling and rowed 1km in 5mins. Not a bad start. I went this evening with the very best of intentions, but feeling a little under the weather. I was hoping that the exercise might blow off the cobwebs, but it very quickly became apparent that it was just hoovering up all my surplus life force! I managed another 25 minutes on the treadmill and ten cycling, and called it a day when my legs gave out under me upon dismounting the bike. I was a bit disappointed - I'd been hoping for a crack at the resistance machines, but I clearly wasn't in any fit state to do so! Maybe next week. I'd like to get some advice on using free weights too, I've got this notion that they'll acheive strapless-dress-worthy arm tone more effectively.

No gym this weekend - partner and are sans-child tomorrow (thanks Mum!) and are going on a hike/scramble to recce the gorge walk route in the Vale of Neath, as he's due to start working the gorge when the season starts in March. Sunday, muzzy head and aching limbs permitting, I am being dragged up Pen Y Fan. The 'gentle route'. Yeah, right. Pray for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment