Monday 27 April 2009

Less fat, more warmth!

Alright, I probably need to explain that one!

About 2 months ago, the other half snapped up a couple of new sleeping bags for us - really lovely extra-length (we are tall peoples!) 3-season ones from Marmot. They're lovely and snug, but they're mummy-style ones with built in hoods, and being quite phobic and panicky about having my arms pinned to my sides, I initially couldn't use mine properly because I was a touch too chunky for a non-phobic fit.

We camped this weekend near Bakewell in the Peak District - more on that in a second - and I was delighted to find that I can now zip my bag up and use it properly, as I've de-chunked enough to give myself some wriggle-room inside the bag! Happy days, toasty warm nights!

Anyway, the Peak District. HOW lovely?? How have I never been before?

T'other half James is working away doing all the visual merchandising for Cotswolds' new Bakewell store, and the midget and I decided to mosey on up this weekend to see him, as he got Sunday off. Even better for us was the presence of our lovely friends Tracey and Frank - freshly returned from 2 1/2 years wandering the globe and climbing everything higher than a lamppost, they've settled themselves near Bakewell, bought a narrow boat to live on, rescued a dog, and scored jobs in the aforementioned store! Sunday was a gloriously sunny day, and we convened in Hope for a delicious farm breakfast alongside store manager Stu and assistant manager Richie. Frank and Richie then took off for a day's climbing, Stu set off on his bike, and James, Tracey, Freya and I set off on a long walk with the irrepressible Harry the Greyhound in tow.

We walked around Ladybower Reservoir - more taxing than it sounds, it's a very large pond o'water! Although not challenging in terms of hills, it was a good long walk. I carried Freya for about half of it, something I've never done before, and I have a newfound respect for the strength of James' hips! Harry absolutely loved his long trek too, and we had great fun working on his training as he's a young dog and not very disciplined, sweet though he undoubtedly is. I was aching later, my hips are paying for Freya's Easter Egg indulgence!

I wasn't 100% committed to the WW plan whilst I was away, but by the same token I wasn't silly. My indulgences were meals earned by hard walking, and I didn't cave in to puddings or sweet things. Plugging in my points to the online system on my return would indicate that all that walking kept me in point 'credit' so technically I shouldn't see a gain, but I'm right back on track now, so if I do put on or maintain, I know that I can reverse it straight away so I'm neither panicking nor apologising for enjoying my lovely weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment